View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 15th, 2021, 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Disk Brake Conversion 
UC4x4 Member

Post Disk Brake Conversion
I know this is not exactly new news but I want to show it off and practice this picture linking stuff.

- Confucius

September 25th, 2006, 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Bring a thread back from the dead.... Dan tell me more about this! Stock axles? Where did you get the conversion kit, looks like it was a bolt on!

I'm thinking about running mine with Alloy USA Axles, 10yr warranty and their only $85 each!

Last edited by chexmix on September 25th, 2007, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 25th, 2007, 9:21 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Other then that i cant help you.

September 25th, 2007, 9:24 am
UC4x4 Member

They sell kits especially for the 9 inch. I know Nolan had some bolt on calipers that he wanted to sell to me. I told him if he wanted anymore than $5 for the pair, I wasn't interested.

September 25th, 2007, 9:25 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Ok so heres the story...I wanted to lock the 8.8 and convert to disks and I started researching and pretty much everything I found told me the 8.8 wouldnt last long locked and I didnt want to pour money into something I knew I was going to break. So I started thinking 9 inch conversion and the deal was made when I walked into a pick and pull with nolan one sunday and saw a sign "all rear axles complete drum to drum $39.99". So we pulled a 9 from a 76 f-150. So I built the axle and installed it, literally a bolt in by the way, the sring pirches, shock mounts, everything but the pinion yoke but that was an easy fix. So I initially installed it with drums because I had recently rebuilt the 8.8 drums and literally every single piece of the drum system was the same from the 9 to the 8.8.

Then I finally ordered the disk brake kit from TSM MFG (The StreetRod manufacturing Co) http://tsmmfg.com/2500.htm

I bought the 100% bolt on kit with rotors and all the brackets for $289. I also ordered the stainless flex lines for $50. Last, I bought the NEW loaded calipers they sell for a whopping 300 bucks. Seems expensive but its not a bad deal. Kragens wanted something like 275 for remaned loaded calipers so it wasnt a bad deal. Basically everyone uses these cadillac calipers for rear disk brake conversions because they have a parking brake. Now heres where things got ugly...

I absolutely hate these rear calipers. They are poorly designed, and the parking brake function works like crap. I had to make a bracket for the parking brake cable and weld it to the top of the axle because the included bracket only allowed for about 1 inch of cable travel which was not enough to lock the brakes. Also adjusting these calipers (IE pushing the piston back in) requires a special tool to "screw" the piston back into the caliper. Lastly they are very difficult to bleed as you have to actually take them of the truck (with the line attached of course) and bleed them. They also recomend you hit them with a rubber mallot as you bleed them to work out any air bubbles. I spent a couple days trying to differnt bleeding techniques just trying to get the air out of the lines.

Before you go thinking that im just awful with brakes, Izzy (with the big black and purple blazer) converted to disks and used these same calipers. After struggling with them for a couple days like I did he ditched them for chevy 3/4 ton stuff. Only problem is he doesnt have a parking brake anymore, which is why I bought these expensive ass calipers in the first place, for safety reasons I didnt want to give up my emergency brake.

Now I will say, that they do work well now that they are finally installed but I dread the day that I have to change the pads...

Also realize that these calipers are a GM product and have nothing to do with the quality of the parts offered by TSM. Everything that TSM provided me with that they made worked very well and I have zero complaints...

So my conclusion to those thinking about it....IDK...maybe use the cheaper non parking brake calipers and look into a driveshaft parking brake. Or possibly someone else makes a kit using different calipers? I never have seen one but maybe I missed it.

Justin Ive read a lot of good things about alloy USA products and the price is very fair. Im using 30 year old bone stock axles with this set up and have had no issues. So assuming the allow USA axles you buy are a direct replacement they should work just fine.

- Confucius

September 25th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I have the 9" kit on my mustang only because there wasn't much out there when I baught it. I don't like these calipers at all but it seems its what everyone is using " damn the hot rods an thier taste for GM parts". I also didn't find out about the parking brake weakness until after I baught them so its partly my fault for not researching. what burns me the most is the "must set the parking brake every time or kill the caliper".

September 25th, 2007, 9:07 pm
Profile YIM
UC4x4 Member

I couldnt agree more Dave, those calipers suck, there expensive and everyone uses em! Its really stoooopid, I wish someone in the aftermarket would do something about it.

- Confucius

September 26th, 2007, 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

This pictures shows the bracket I had to make for the parking brake. It gives me another 2 inches or so of much needed cable travel.

- Confucius

September 27th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]